- Announcement Number:
- Position Status:
- Flex, No Benefits
- Relocation Expenses:
- Application Email:
- Opening Date:
- Open Continuously
NON APPROPRIATED FUNDS
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER #19-037
LOCATION OF POSITION: Morale Welfare Recreation (MWR) Department, Fitness Division, NAS Pensacola FL
OPENING DATE: 02/01/19
CLOSING DATE: Open Continuous
POSITION: Fitness Trainer/NF-0030-03
SALARY RANGE: $14.00/PH
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Flexible (May be scheduled to work 40 hours weekly. May be required to work weekends, holidays, and evening/rotating shifts. Group benefits not included.)
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: Applications will be accepted from all sources.
DUTIES: Incumbent must screen participant for cardiovascular risk factors prior to exercise via a comprehensive medical history and health habits questionnaire. Incumbent recommends means for modifying cardiovascular risk factors, body fat and improving nutritional bad habits within guidelines recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine(ACSM). Assists in designing individualized exercise programs for patrons based on their goals or current fitness status by performing fitness profiling testing. (Aerobic capacity, blood pressure, heart rate and body composition). Incumbent will lead classes, provide personal instructions and be informed on correct exercise procedures and nutrition programs. Conduct an ongoing variety of fitness classes and set up individual fitness programs and instructions such as introduction to fitness lifestyle changes, basic muscular toning, circuit training, aerobic conditioning training, etc. Instructs and demonstrates proper bio-mechanic technique for use of all resistance training and cardiovascular exercise equipment. Explains applicable kinesiology of each machine. Shows patrons how to properly monitor heart while exercising and provide patrons with the basic knowledge of basic kinesiology as it relates to resistance training machines and free weight equipment. Demonstrates and explain the importance of warm-up, cool-down and flexibility. Enforces all rules and regulations of the fitness center and higher authority elements are followed. Ensures the fitness facility operation is maintained in accordance with MWR and Navy regulations and instruction. Issue workout charts and other additional paperwork. Responsible for upkeep of records (financial transactions, daily activity reports, client records, health risk forms and utilization records etc.). Attends meetings, workshops and seminars presented by the Fitness Director and other outside organizations. Keep up-to-date on the latest training techniques and developments. Implements new training materials into the fitness programs that promote the health and well being of patrons. Coordinates with Fitness Director and assist with developing educational material for patrons (flyers, videos, bulletin boards, etc.) and designs and implements facility and community programs. Assists with preparing an annual budget for facility operation and fitness requirements. Incumbent must exercise tact, good manners and courtesy when serving and assisting customers. This will be expressed by tactfully responding to patron inquiries and assisting in a prompt and friendly manner. Performs other duties assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work includes lifting, pushing and pulling, utilizing all major muscle groups in the demonstration of exercises and equipment and aerobic activities, i.e., running, jumping, etc. Must be capable of operating all equipment used in the various programs. May require some lifting of boxes of stock merchandise. The incumbent works the majority of time in a well heated/air conditioned, adequately lighted facility. The remaining time is either spent outdoors or at other Fitness Department facilities. There are everyday risks requiring normal safety precautions typical of a fitness facility.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Incumbent must hold a current CPR certification and must have completed Navy Basic Fitness Training. Incumbent must have attended the Star Service Customer Care course. Incumbent must have 3+ years of experience or a degree related to Recreation/Fitness Training. Must also hold a NCCA Accredited Certification as well as Specialty Certifications (i.e. Spin, Yoga, Zumba etc.).
NOTE: As a condition of employment, selectee(s) will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer within the first 30 days of employment. This is the DOD standard method of payment of personnel. Employees will be subject to administrative action for failure to enroll unless a waiver has been obtained.
The Department of the Navy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or any other non-merit factor. Reasonable accommodations are provided to applicants with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, contact the NAF Personnel Office that is collecting applications. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be on a case by case basis.
TO SUBMIT BY MAIL : MWR NAF Personnel Office,
150 Hase Rd. Bldg. 3249,
NAS Pensacola, FL 32508 OR…
FAX: (850) 452-3592 (DSN) 459-3592 OR… EMAIL: NASP_NAFPers@NAVY.MIL
(1) Submit a resume to NASP_NAFPers@navy.mil. The position title and number of this vacancy announcement should be shown at the top of the resume.
(2) Present/former NAF employees submit a copy of your last two annual appraisals.
(3) College transcripts required if education is to be substituted for experience.
IT IS AGAINST FEDERAL REGULATIONS TO MAIL APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT IN OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POSTAGE-PAID ENVELOPES.
1. Re-employment Priority List (RPL): Qualifying separated employees shall have priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action (BBA), when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Submit a copy of your BBA Separation
- Notification indicating eligibility for RPL.
2. Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty military member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on active duty. The marriage must have occurred before the military member received official permanent change of station (PCS) orders to the installation listed above. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below and equivalent craft and trade (CT) positions.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Submit sponsor’s PCS orders to installation you are applying for; AND
- If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to PCS.
3. Veteran’s Preference/Gold Star Veteran's Preference: Qualifying military veterans, and spouses/parents of deceased veterans shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates.
To claim Veteran's preference, you MUST:
- Submit a copy of your DD-214 (member 4 copy); AND
- Submit completed SF15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND
- Submit any other supporting documentation (disability, official statements, proof of service, etc)
To claim Gold Star Veteran's preference, you MUST:
- Submit completed SF-15 from the Veterans Administration (VA); AND
- Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND
- Submit any other supporting documentation (official statements, document of service, court decree, etc).
Qualifying applicants with preferences are considered in the order listed above. Then all other qualifying applicants are considered.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE ALL OF THE REQUIRED AND APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING DISQUALIFIED
ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY: Military regulations require that you obtain a special request authorization form (NAVPERS 1336/3) prior to being accepted for outside employment. If employment is offered, you cannot begin work until this chit is supplied to the NAF Personnel Office.